Sunday, January 25, 2009

Optimism Within Realism

A New Era Of Compromise In Washington


Tuesday, January 20, 2009 was truly something else.

In keeping with his serious and somber demeanor after his election on November 4, 2008, Barack Obama reiterated his charges for change and national responsibility during his inaugural speech. His presidency, he hopes, will be one that focuses on restoring America's reputation in the world and revitalizing her economy and her people. To the disappointment of many, his speech was not the normal chest-thumping to which we've become accustomed. He promised that America would meet her challenges, but he didn't sprinkle the challenges she faces with glitter and flowers. Our challenges are many and America has the will to overcome them, but the strength must come from both her people and her government. Obama's election can't be the end of the road. It has to be the beginning of America's long road towards regaining respect around the world and standing as a strong example of democracy once again.

Not to forget the now former President Bush, George W. and Laura Bush left the White House after Obama's inauguration via helicopter. Personally, it was one of the most satisfying sights I've ever witnessed.

Just for fun:


You can hear happy singing it the background as the helicopter flies off. I wonder if any other departing president has been so happily sent off.

I also have to add that Tuesday night's The Daily Show may be one of the funniest ever. This, alone, proves that:

They, literally, had to push Cheney out of the White House.

The last eight years has left my country in deep debt both monetarily and, I believe, morally. However, I think this new administration will restore some global faith in America, her values, and her people. We're no longer the hillbilly country with the cowboy president. Now, we're a country of adults. Barack Obama is smart, articulate, and respectful: three things the executive branch of American government has been missing for nearly a decade.

If feels good to have faith in leadership. Of course, I don't expect President Obama to change the world over night, but I feel relatively safe in the hands of my government again. I feel like Obama's agenda will be the advancement and well-being on America and NOT the thoughtless kowtowing to corporate buddies. (Part of why I voted for him - both during the primary and the presidential election - is because he IS young. How many corporate buddies could he possible have!?) I don't think he will so blatantly disregard the American people OR the people of the world like Bush did. I don't think he'll let our reputation in the world dip any lower.

The inauguration ceremony was an amazing sight. This president is a symbol of progression and hope to so many in the country who have suffered due to the mismanagement of the Bush years. The crowd was massive. It was unbelievable. I only hope that some of those people keep watch and stay informed. This president will bring change and he'll move the country back to the 'plus' side, but when his work ends, the next president must go even further. We cannot become complacent now. America still has a long way to go. She still discriminates. She still hates. She still starves and bleeds. She still asks God to solve her problems instead of standing up and solving them herself. We have opened a door with this president. Liberals have a shot now to show conservatives that we're not so scary and - maybe - we can win some of them over. We can't treat them with the disdain the Bush administration treated us. That'll only rile their base up against us. Now is not the time for that. Now we need to recognize mistakes, face challenges, and reach out to ALL Americans in order to see our problems resolved.

Obama's inaugural speech did include some religious rhetoric and even some "we won't back down" language. I could have lived without that, but I think that most president wind up calling on God and trying to hype Americans up. They're popular American cliches. In our country, you won't get elected unless you appear to be a "good Christian" and thank God time and time again. When Obama invokes the image of God, though, I think he does so more to placate those who are looking for him to prove his religiosity. Not that I think he's a "non-believer." His religion makes no difference to me so long as his religion is not his only driving force as president. I agree that religion can serve as a handy moral guide, but it should not be the only guide. I think he hopes for God's support and, given the mess he is now charged with cleaning, I can't blame him. I don't think Barack Obama claims to ACTUALLY speak to God in the way George W. Bush did. Further, when Obama says that America WILL defend herself, I don't think he means it in a Bush Doctrine sort of way. I think he plans to defend the country responsibly and - where ever possible - diplomatically.

President Obama has my trust. For now. I'm not saying I won't be skeptical and watch him carefully, but there's no reason to doubt him yet. I have my hopes and I have things I want to see this president do. If he does even some of them, I think that'll be a great improvement. He's not catering to any ONE ideology. He has to try to compromise with all types of people and some people are not as liberal as we are here in the Northeast. I expect some disappointments, but just because there's something I want for this country doesn't mean that that something is good or pleasing for the country as a whole. We NEED cooperation and compromise now. Liberals need to show conservatives that we're not evil. We need to work with people who don't agree with us and try to get them on our side. They, too, need to understand that no president should cater to just their beliefs. Then - maybe someday - we COULD have a liberal and open country. Maybe we COULD take God out of politics. Maybe we COULD see gays legally marrying. Maybe we COULD call a truce on the culture wars.

We're not there yet, though. As early as November 5th, Prop 8 should have shown all us starry-eyed liberals that our dreams had not quite come true yet. But this should be seen as a step. This is a baby step in the right direction. So, for now, I'm going to be proud. I'm going to smile, laugh, and cry happy little tears because even though this administration won't give me everything I want, it's a sign that someday there could be an administration that will get us there, once more of America is ready for it.

National ideologies CAN change. The first white Americans were strict Puritans who would probably put even today's conservative right to shame. We once saw no moral issue with keeping darker colored human beings as captives, objects, worthless workers. We once thought women were too inferior to work or vote. In time, all of these characteristics that once made up America were disregarded. If you're not a progressive, you're living in the past.

History is a series of progressions.

No comments: